- Create and enforce a strict house policy that clearly states
your establishment's ‘zero-tolerance’ level towards illegal drugs.
Let people know what you will do if you are aware that they are
using drugs on your premises
- Avoid events or bands that might attract a pro-drug
- Discourage any drug references via your dress code
- Check your premises every night after closing for hidden drugs,
weapons or drugs paraphernalia, especially in toilet areas
- Well–managed premises where staff take an active interest are
less likely to attract drug use.
Ensure that the employer’s risk assessment covers the
- Safe system for handling ‘sharps’ and other paraphernalia
- Dealing with accidental contact
- The provision of personal protective equipment
- A suitable arrangement for disposal
- Training for staff
Make prompt contact with your local police if you have reason to
suspect drug dealing or use on the premises. Ask for their advice.
See also section ‘What to do if you find illegal drugs on your