Home Page > Advice > Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour can have a devastating effect on people’s lives. Incidents of anti-social behaviour can range from something that is a mild annoyance, but causing harm, to something that causes fear and insecurity. It is very often different from person to person or in different communities. It could be a one-off event or something that happens over and over again.


Across most areas of Hertfordshire the actual number of anti-social behaviour incidents is low but we recognise that where it is happening, it can severely affect people’s daily lives. 


Report It


What is anti-social behaviour?

We define anti-social behaviour as “any conduct or activity that causes harm to an individual, to a community or to their environment”. This could be an action by someone else that leaves you feeling alarmed, harassed or distressed. It can include noisy or abusive neighbours, littering or graffiti.


The police, local authorities and other community safety partner agencies, such as Fire & Rescue and social housing landlords, all have a responsibility to deal with anti-social behaviour and to help people who are suffering from it.Graffiti: One form of anti-social behaviour


Together we are working to deal with anti-social behaviour - taking action to reduce it and stop it happening, especially when the victim is vulnerable or has suffered repeated anti-social behaviour.


If you are feeling harassed, alarmed or distressed because of the following types of behaviour, it could be ‘ASB’:


  • begging; hoax calls to emergency services;
  • inappropriate use, sale or possession of fireworks; littering; graffiti 
  • malicious communications (for example letters or emails);
  • noise complaints; prostitution-related activity; nuisance neighbours;
  • rowdy or inconsiderate behaviour; street drinking;
  • trespass; vehicle nuisance

Report It

You do not have to put up with anti-social behaviour.  If you cannot deal with it yourself and you need to report it, you can contact police or your local council. If you live in social housing, you can report it to your landlord.


If you are suffering disproportionately because you are vulnerable, or because there is repeated anti-social behaviour occurring, we will treat you as a priority. Please tell us about your circumstances when you call.  Your report will be assessed and, wherever appropriate, we will send an officer to investigate.


We recognise that some issues cause greater harm to victims or communities and may need more intensive or long-term action. In these circumstances a local Neighbourhood Officer may be assigned to manage your case.  They may be supported by other police officers and staff, including anti-social behaviour investigators from our Community Safety Units, detectives and patrol officers.


To help you properly and put a stop to the problem, police may need to involve partners agencies, such as councils and Registered Social Landlords,  so we may seek to share information about your case with them (see Download Adobe PDF Document 'recipients of personal data' document).  You may decide that you don’t want the information made available to any other agency but this may restrict our ability to effectively resolve your problem. Your information will be treated confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.





If you need the police to attend as quickly as possible, phone Telephone  999 and say that you want the police. Use Telephone 999 if:

• A crime or serious anti-social behavour is happening now
• People are injured
• People are being threatened or are in danger
• The offender is still there or is nearby


If the anti-social behaviour is not an emergency situation you can contact your local Safer Neighbourhood Team.


phone Telephone   101 to make non-emergency calls to Hertfordshire Constabulary. Calls to Telephone 101 cost 15 pence.


Alternatively, you can call Telephone 01707 354000 for non-emergency calls.




Alternatively, you could get in touch with your local council.  Please click a coucil for more information:


including Hoddesdon, Cheshunt and Waltham Cross.


including Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamsted, Kings Langley and Tring.

East Herts

including Bishop's Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Hertford, Ware, Buntingford and surrounding villages.


including Borehamwood, Bushey, Potters Bar, Radlett, Elstree and Shenley

North Herts

including Baldock, Hitchin, Letchworth, Royston and surrounding villages

St Albans

including Harpenden, London Colney, Redbourn and Wheathampstead


Three Rivers

including Abbots Langley, Chorleywood, Rickmansowrth, South Oxhey and surrounding villages


Welwyn Hatfield

including Hatfield, Welwyn, Welwyn Garden City, University of Hertfordshire and surrounding villages


Perceptions of young people ‘hanging around’

Don't judge them by their dress sense!

Groups of young people are sometimes unfairly branded as ‘anti-social’ when they are simply spending time with their friends. We hope to challenge negative views. Click here for more.