of Asian Jewellery
burglary is a crime we all need to be aware of, in homes where
large amounts of expensive gold is kept, there are extra steps we
recommend taking to ensure your jewellery is safe.
The following crime prevention
advice was devised using information provided by criminals who
commit Asian Jewellery theft.
How can you better protect your valuable gold?
• We would advise you to remove
the jewellery from your house altogether so if you are a victim
your valuable items won’t be stolen. Keep all jewellery and other
valuables in a safety deposit box – speak to your local bank to
find out what’s available.
• If you would prefer to keep the
jewellery at home, invest in a good quality safe which complies
with official insurance rating standards and is secured to a wall
or to the floor.
• To ensure your safe is the best
possible standard, visit:
Home Office approved website which list approved security products
which have been awarded the 'Police Preferred Specification'
status, or www.soldsecure.com which lists
products approved by the Master Locksmiths Association
You can deter a burglar from entering your home
• Make sure you double-lock any UPVC doors by lifting the
handle and locking it at all times.
• Check all doors are locked and all windows, including those
upstairs, are secure before you go out.
• Use timer switches on lamps to give the impression somebody
is at home or keep a light on in the evening when you leave.
• Consider installing alarms and ‘dusk to dawn’ security
• Consider installing a CCTV camera outside your property.
You can register your property on
the free secure online database www.immobilise.com - that way, if
police recover your property, they’ll be able to return it to
For more detailed burglary advice visit the Beating Burglary pages
of our website by clicking here.
To download a leaflet that
offers advice on protecting your jewellery, please click