Home Page > Advice > FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Below, you can find the questions Hertfordshire Constabulary are asked the most, and the answers. Many more FAQ's can be found on the Web Link Ask The Police website.


If your question is not answered, please call Telephone 101, where an operator will be able to advise you further.


Please select a question from the drop-down menu:



Cars and Parking

There is a car parked in my road which I do not recognise, and it hasn't moved for some time. Who do I contact?


Firstly, you should check with your neighbours, to see if they know who owns the car.


If you think the car may be stolen, due to damaged locks / ignition or being left insecure please click here, and Police will conduct checks on the vehicle. If the vehicle is confirmed stolen, Police may attend to remove the vehicle. Unfortunately we are unable to provide any feedback in such circumstances.

I have had an accident in my car - do I need to tell the police?


If the road is not blocked, and nobody has been injured, the Police do not need to know about a road traffic collision (RTC).

If the other driver has not left any insurance or contact details, or for example you go out to your car and find damage with no note left, this is known as a 'fail to stop RTC' and Police will need to be notified.


A Fail To Stop RTC needs to be reported in person at your local Police Station, such reports cannot be taken over the telephone. You must take your driving documents with you. This includes your driving licence (both parts), MOT certificate and certificate of insurance.

Police Station opening hours can be found by clicking here.

I've received a speeding ticket from a safety camera - what do I do?


Please read the whole document carefully and follow the instructions provided on the form.  If you think your vehicle has been cloned, you will need to send in photographs of your vehicle, including the front, rear and side view.


Further information about Safety Cameras can be found on the Herts County Council website.  Click here for more information.

I want to check if I have been caught on a safety/speed camera.  How do I do this?


Documentation will be sent to you within 14 days of the offence if you are the Registered Keeper.  If you were driving a vehicle that did not belong to you, this will take longer, as we have to serve the original notice to the Registered Keeper of the vehicle.  Please wait to see if anything is received before contacting us.

I need assistance with completing my Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP)


Please refer to the document sent with your NIP, there is also clear instructions at the top of each section what you have to do.  Please ensure you respond within 28 days of receipt of the Notice of Intended Prosecution.

Contacting Us

I need to speak to the police about something, what number do I call?


You should always call Telephone 999 in an Emergency. An emergency is where there is an immediate risk of harm or damage.


If your call is not an Emergency you should dial Telephone 101.


101 is a single non-emergency number to contact the Police throughout the UK.

More information can be found at Web Link www.police.uk/101.


Alternatively, you can email us with your enquiry using the form at the bottom of this page. We aim to reply to non-urgent enquiries sent by this form within 48 hours.

How do I contact my local officers?


Your local Safer Neighbourhood Team Officers contact details can be found by clicking here.

Where is my local Police Station, and when is it open?


You can find your local Police Station together with opening times by clicking here.

I have a question about working for the police / I would like a career with the police.


We are not currently recruiting new Police Officers.


However all of our current vacancies are advertised on our Recruitment Website.

Do the police offer work experience?


It may be possible to organise work experience on a local basis, however, you must contact your local officer to enquire if this would be possible. Operational activities will be prioritised, but if work experience or work shadowing is possible, this needs to be agreed at a local level.


Your local officer can be found via the web site here. For information on careers within Hertfordshire Constabulary, please view our recruitment the web site:.


With regret we are no longer able to offer any work experience opportunities, attachments, placements or shadowing within Scientific Services. This decision has been made by the senior management team out of necessity. As you can imagine we get an incredibly high number of requests due to the overwhelming popularity of forensics generated by programmes on TV and coverage in the media and whilst our staff are always keen to showcase their activities our priorities must be around operational crime scene examination and the processing of forensic evidence. Unfortunately we just do not have the resources to be able to meet the demand for this type of request.

I need to obtain a CRB check / I want to know what information the police hold about me / Freedom of Information requests.


Please view our Information Service webpage for further advice and guidance.

How can I report terrorism / terrorists?


Communities are likely to be aware that the threat level from international terrorism in the UK has recently risen to severe. This means that it is highly likely that a terrorist attack could happen in the UK, but an attack is not imminent.


It is important to ensure a measured response and that the public remain calm and raise any concerns they may have with the police as soon as possible.


The Government’s Prevent strategy is about protecting people from the threat of terrorism. It is about stepping in to help vulnerable people at risk of being recruited by terrorist or extremist groups,  whether in this country or encouraged to travel abroad, and safeguarding individuals and the community as a whole.


Communities can work together to develop resilience to extremist influences which support terrorism, be alert to any groups which target them or use their community spaces for propaganda activities and watch for any people who raise funds destined for illegal activities.




Telephone 999 if there is an immediate threat to life.


If you have information about possible terrorist activity, call the police anti-terrorist hotline on:


Telephone 0800 789 321


If you have general information about potential terrorist activity please ring the Anti-Terrorist Hotline number on:


Confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline: Call 0800 789 321


There is considerable effort taking place to remove terrorist material from the Internet and individuals can - and should - refer any content they are concerned about to the police at:


Web Link www.gov.uk/report-terrorism


Alternatively, you can report any terrorist material seen on social networking sites - such as Facebook® and Twitter® - directly to the social media platforms themselves and they can act against material that breaches their own terms and conditions.


You can get more information on terrorism on our website by clicking here.

Social Media, Abuse and Nuisance Contacting

I am receiving abusive messages / 'trolling' through social media, such as Facebook® and Twitter®. Can the Police do anything?


If you are receiving unwanted / abusive messages via social media websites, such as Facebook® and Twitter®, you should contact the website directly.

The first steps are to delete the person concerned from your friend list, and to block them.


Further advice and how to contact various social media websites can be found by visiting our page on 'trolling' and cyber-bullying by clicking here.

I am getting nuisance phone calls, can police trace the offender?


In the first instance you should report this matter to your telephone company. If appropriate, they will be able to trace the offender and will contact you when they have enough evidence.

The process is the same if the phone calls are anonymous, or if you think you know who is responsible.


Telephone provider's will often give you the option of changing your number first.


If the telephone calls contain malicious or threatening content please contact police on Telephone 101 to report the matter.


If you are not in dispute with anyone or are not aware of any reason why you may be being harassed it could be the calls are not malicious. It is possible calls are being made by an automated outbound dialler (cold call sales / surveys) so it may also be worth registering your phone number with the Web Link Telephone Preference Service.

I need to report fraud / I have received a scam email, what can I do?


For any fraud relating to your bank details please ensure your bank are notified urgently.

Any fraud or scam emails should be reported to Action Fraud.

Action Fraud will then pass your report on to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau, managed by City Of London Police.

You can make a report to Action Fraud online by visiting Web Link www.actionfraud.police.uk. Or by telephone on:


Telephone 0300 123 2040


You can get more information on fraud on our website by clicking here.

How do I report terrorist material that I have seen on the Internet?


There is considerable effort taking place to remove terrorist material from the Internet and individuals can - and should - refer any content they are concerned about to the police at:


Web Link www.gov.uk/report-terrorism


Alternatively, you can report any terrorist material seen on social networking sites - such as Facebook® and Twitter® - directly to the social media platforms themselves and they can act against material that breaches their own terms and conditions.


You can get more information on terrorism on our website by clicking here.

Your home, street and neighbours

There is a loud party going on next door, can the police do anything about it?


The police have no powers of prosecution for noise offences and it may be necessary to contact the Environmental Health Department of your local authority.

The police may attend such incidents and can ask the organisers to turn the music down. Please be aware that loud music on a Saturday night for example, is going to be a fairly low priority for the police and they may not be able to attend for some time. Also if the noise is in the afternoon it is unlikely that police will visit, but your local authority should be contacted. Police attendance would occur mainly during what would be classed as anti-social hours.


For local authority contacts, please click here.

My neighbour has their TV / music too loud, even though I have asked for it to be turned down, what can I do?


The police do not have any powers to prosecute for noise nuisance.


You should contact the Environmental Health department of your local authority. Most larger Environmental Health Departments have 24 hour cover and can be called at any time.

For long term problems, the Environmental Health Officer is likely to ask you to keep a diary of the noise nuisance. During the investigation they may issue you with some equipment to record the noise levels. These two steps are designed to gather evidence for a prosecution, although it is likely they will give your neighbour the opportunity to turn the TV/music down without further action. The whole process can take some time to complete, so you may have to be patient.


For local authority contacts, please click here.

I have had some work done on my property and it is very poor quality, can the police do anything?

Incidents like this should be reported to Web Link Hertfordshire Trading Standards, who will take full details and investigate. If Trading Standards need any assistance from the police, they will contact us directly.

I need to report a pothole / faulty street lights / parking problems / etc. Who should I contact?


These matters do not fall within the remit of the Police but please visit the Hertfordshire County Council 'Fault Reporting' service, to report such incidents.


This service can be found by clicking Web Link here.

Is Neighbourhood Watch active in my area?


Hertfordshire Constabulary actively supports Neighbourhood Watch. Your local Safer Neighbourhood Team Officers will hold regular meetings to listen to the communities concerns.

Local Officer contact details can be found here.


You can find more information about Neighbourhood Watch on our website by clicking here.


We also make use of the Online Watch Link (OWL) service, which makes it easy for you to receive crime information and any messages of interest.


We encourage you to sign up to OWL by visiting Web Link www.owl.co.uk.

Lost property and lost dogs

I have lost / found some property, what do I do?


Lost Property


Firstly, backtrack where you have been when you may have lost the property, and contact staff at those places. For example, if you had a meal at a restaurant or visited a shop, contact them to see if staff have found it. If travelling on a bus or train please make enquiries with the relevant company to determine whether your property has been handed in.
Once these checks have been made:-


If you believe the item to have been stolen from you then you must call Telephone 101 to report a crime. However, if you’ve simply lost the item you can report it on the Web Link HertsReunited website at www.hertsreunited.co.uk.


Lost Mobile Phones:


If you have lost your mobile phone, you may need to contact your service provider and ask them for your IMEI number. You will need this information prior to registering your phone as lost. You should report the phone as lost on Web Link IMMOBILISE -  the UK national property register - which is used by national police forces to help return phones to their owners. If you do not have access to the internet, you may have a friend or family who will be able to help you do this. If not, you can attend one of our police stations with a front counter service and we will assist you to record the phone as lost on the website. Your insurance company should be able to view the IMMOBILISE website as reference that you have lost your phone. Hertfordshire police do not record lost phones in local records or provide local reference numbers.


Lost credit/debit cards:


You should contact your bank or credit card company and report the loss to them. They will then cancel the card and issue a replacement. It is imperative that you report the matter to the bank as soon as possible, as the card needs to be deactivated so that it cannot be used. You do not need to report the loss to the police. If items such as debit/credit cards are handed in to us, we will contact the card issuer and then securely destroy the card.


Lost passport/driving licence or other government issued documents?


Hertfordshire Police do not record details of lost documents or cards which contains information that enables the loser or issuer to be identified, e.g. DSS cheque, driving licence, credit card, passports etc. This is because we return such items to the issuing authority automatically when they are found.


If you have lost your passport or driving licence, you should report the matter as soon as possible to the United Kingdom Passport Service (UKPS) or the DVLA as follows:


  • UK driving licence – contact the DVLA Web Link via their website
  • UK Passport - UK Passport Service (UKPS) by completing form LS01 Web Link available on-line or from main post offices.
  • Other government issued documents – details of how to report the loss can be Web Link found on-line.


When you arrange to collect your claimed item, you will need to provide some proof of ownership for consideration. This can include proof of purchase (original receipt), photographs clearly showing the item, a full description including any unique markings. If you are unable to provide sufficient proof of ownership you may be unable to claim the item.


Found Property


For the majority of found items, there is no need to bring it into the police station - you can hold on to it and inform us through the HertsReunited website.


However, there are some items of property that must be brought into a police station instead. These include items that may be illegal to possess or contain personal data. Examples of this include mobile phones, cameras, laptops, iPads, dangerous weapons etc.


You can hand found property in to one of our four main stations at Hoddesdon, Hatfield, Stevenage or Watford.  Police Station opening times can be found here.

In some circumstances, a finder can claim and retain a found item if we have been unsuccessful in identifying an owner. As a general rule we will consider claims to found property after 28 days from the date of being reported to us.  However, there may be special circumstances when we may require more time to identify the owner.


Certain found items must be surrendered to the police and cannot be retained. This includes the following items:


  • items that contain personal data e.g. mobile phones, laptops, cameras, iPods etc.
  • firearms, drugs, explosives, or offensive weapons
  • items believed to be used in the commission of an offence
  • official government documents


It should be noted that the police have no power in law to grant a person ownership of the item found although once the property has been returned to the finder by the police, the original owner is not usually then able to claim the goods. 

I have lost / found a dog, what do I do?


You should contact your local authority and ask to speak with the local dog warden.

The local dog warden retains reports of lost and found dogs, and it's their responsibility to collect all stray dogs that are found in a public place.

Please note the RSPCA will not go out and collect stray dogs.

Other enquiries

My enquiry is not covered here / I need to speak about something else.


If your question is not covered within our FAQs you can either call us on the non-emergency number, Telephone 101, to speak to a member of staff who will be available to advise you further.


Alternatively, you can email us with your enquiry by clicking here. We aim to reply to non-urgent enquiries sent by this form within 48 hours.