Latest News

More people are contacting the Constabulary online



The number of people using Hertfordshire Constabulary’s online web chat option to report non-emergency incidents is on the rise.


In January, the Force launched its ClickB4UCall campaign to allow people to report non-urgent crime or suspicious activity via an online portal.


Last month (June), the option to report damage only fail to stop collisions online was added to the online options and, in its first week of operation, 25 drivers put this to good use.


Assistant Chief Constable Jane Swinburne, who is the Constabulary’s lead for Public Contact, said: “The number of people using our online options is encouraging and we expect these figures to continue to increase as time goes on.


“Our online reporting facility is a great alternative for people wishing to contact us about a non-urgent matter and many will find it more convenient to get in touch with us online rather than picking up the phone.


“The service you receive online is exactly the same as the response you get when dialling 101 with the same police staff in the Force Communication Room dealing with both communication channels.


“By choosing the online option where appropriate it also frees up our busy call handlers so that they can focus on dealing with 999 emergency calls.


“Recent events and the time of year mean that call volumes are currently high. We always want to ensure that we answer emergency calls as fast as possible, to get the right response to those most in need as quickly as we can.


“The public can help us with this by ensuring they choose the most appropriate option when contacting us about non-emergencies. However, I would like to stress that in an emergency, this is where there is immediate threat or danger or a crime is in progress, you should always dial 999 so that we can get a response to you as quickly as possible.”


Video Guide


There is a video online that shows the public how to report a crime online – 


Hertfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner David Lloyd said: “I’ve been very pleased to see so many people taking advantage of the many ways to contact the police online. I’ve met with the officers and staff manning the 101 web chat and watched them respond to messages in a flash.


“I believe the online reporting page and Hertfordshire Constabulary’s dedicated app will continue to make a huge difference. The public are using their smartphones and computers every day and it’s right we should be able to provide these options alongside the more traditional methods of contacting our force.”

101 or 999 – which one should you call?


Calling 999 means your call gets priority and allows the most appropriate action to be taken immediately.


Always call 999 if:
• Someone is injured, being threatened or is in danger.
• There is a risk of injury to someone or a risk of serious damage to property.
• A crime is in progress or you suspect a crime is in progress.
• There is a serious incident which needs immediate police attendance.
• Someone suspected of a crime is nearby.


The 101 number should be used for non-emergencies. Typical examples of when people should call 101 include:


• If you want to give police information about a crime that is not currently in progress.
• To contact a local police officer, such as someone from your Safer Neighbourhood team.
• If your property has been stolen or damaged but it is not a crime in progress.
• If you suspect drug dealing or use in your area.


You can also report this information via our online options on the Hertfordshire Constabulary website. There are also options to look up the contact details of specific officers, contact a department directly, access details to email or write to us and view contact details for partner agencies, such as local authorities to report matters such as noise nuisance and highways issues.


If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can also text 07786 207091 (this number is only used in Hertfordshire) or textphone/Minicom 18001 101. In an emergency text your emergency to 999 (you must be registered to the National Emergency Text Service before doing this) including what the problem is, what service you require – police, fire, ambulance or coastguard and give the details of where you are.