Skip to content Quick exit

Firearms licensing - Brexit implications

UK residents who want to travel to the EU with their firearms or shotguns will no longer be able to apply for a European Firearms Pass (EFP) from 1 January 2021.

Instead, you should check the firearms licensing requirements of the EU country you're travelling to, ahead of travelling.  These requirements will also apply if you will be in an EU country with your firearm, covered by an EFP, when we leave the EU.

Visitor’s permits

You should continue to apply to your local UK police force for a visitor’s permit (opens in a new window) if you’re sponsoring an EU visitor who is bringing a firearm to the UK. Permits issued before the UK leaves the EU will remain valid until they expire.

It will no longer be a legal requirement for EU visitors to GB to produce a valid EFP in support of their application, but it will remain open for them to do so as one form of evidence of their suitability to bring a firearm into GB.

Non-EU visitors should produce either copies of current valid firearms or shotgun licenses, hunting license or membership card, or the equivilent of a local Criminal Records Bureau check, depending on circumstances

Please see the Government website (opens in a new window) for further details.

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.