Skip to content Quick exit

Request collision reference

If you're a solicitor or insurer looking to request a collision reference number to make a claim, you may do so by completing our short online form. 

Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire's joint Collisions Administration Unit is responsible for the administration of collisions recorded by the three forces.

Not all collisions require officers to complete a collision report. They only do so in cases where;

  • the collision caused an injury and the incident was reported at the time
  • one of the parties involved failed to stop at the scene and exchange details.

These terms apply even when a police officer attends the scene.

Collision reports, including the reference number, are not received immediately by the Collisions Administration Unit. Because of this, we recommend insurers and solicitors do not submit collision reference number requests until a minimum of 21 days after the collision.

Drivers who are involved in a collision, which is being dealt with by the Collision Administration Unit, are provided with the relevant collision reference number. Solicitors and insurers may wish to wait for their client to be advised of this before making a request for information. 

A collision reference number is first required in order to complete a collision report form (link to form) which details the information recorded by police in relation to the collision.  

Collision reference number form

Please use the below form to;

  • request a search of police records to determine if we hold any information on a collision
  • obtain a collision reference number.

There is a search fee of £33.10 which must be paid via BACS after completing the form. You will receive more information on how to do this once your form has been submitted.

Once payment has cleared the search will be carried out and the result of the search emailed to you.

Please note that by requesting this information, you are confirming you have a suitable involvement in the incident or are acting on behalf of an individual who is involved.

The requested form is not currently available.



Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.