Positive Action is a range of measures by which we can target and support candidates for recruitment from communities who are underrepresented. It allows us to develop strategies that support progression and improve retention. By removing traditional barriers, we can provide a positive, modern and progressive working environment for those candidates who apply and meet the minimum role criteria.
We want to recruit the best candidates and with Positive Action initiatives we are able to give the widest possible access to aspiring people from all backgrounds.
We have a strong commitment to equality and diversity both within the organisation and in the service we provide.
By choosing a career with us, you will be rewarded with a diverse and supportive environment which will bring benefits to you both professionally and personally.
Our aim is to build a representative workforce by attracting the most skilled and talented candidates from the widest pool of people that reflects the communities we serve. We are proud to use positive action to ensure no candidate is disadvantaged in any way.
Some examples of our positive action initiatives include:
- Mentoring programmes for applicants and existing officers,
- Additional help and advice during the application process for anyone with a protected characteristic,
- Regular attendance at local cultural events and celebrations giving us the opportunity to engage positively and regularly with our communities,
- Familiarisation evenings and targeted recruitment events
- An active number of dedicated staff support networks
If a career in policing interests you, the Positive Action Recruitment Team are more than happy to arrange an informal discussion to explore what support and advice they can offer. Contact the team via email.