Catalytic converter theft
Here are some steps you can take to reduce the opportunity for a criminal to steal your catalytic converter:
- Don’t park your car/van half on the pavement as it makes it easier for the thieves to get underneath it.
- If you have a diesel van or other high clearance vehicles having your catalytic converter marked, or secured can deter thieves who steal them for the precious metal components.
- Park in a garage or other secure area if possible.
- Consider property marking your catalytic converter. It is cheap and may reduce your insurance.
- A sign in your window saying your catalytic converter has been marked may well deter thieves.
You can also buy clamps to secure your catalytic converter to your vehicle and get marking kits which are an effective deterrent against catalytic converter theft.
Models including pre 2008 Honda Jazz models, Toyota Prius (2004 to 2016 inclusive) and Toyota Arius (2012 to 2018 inclusive), are more likely to be targeted.
We are working in partnership with garages across the county who are offering free catalytic converter marking. Click here to find your nearest participating garages.
If you have any information about catalytic converter theft please contact Hertfordshire Constabulary online or on the non-emergency 101. Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.