Skip to content Quick exit

Clare's Law

Clare’s Law, also known as the Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme, allows people to find out if their partner has an abusive or violent past.

It is named after Clare Wood, who was killed by her former partner in 2009. She did not know that he had a history of violence prior to entering a relationship with her.

Clare’s Law gives members of the public the right to ask if their partner has a history of violent or abusive behaviour. Checks will be made by police and information will be revealed where there is reason for concern.

The information means people can make informed choices about their relationship.

Officers from the Domestic Abuse Investigation and Safeguarding Unit will also offer help and support. They can even provide assistance where someone chooses to leave a relationship and there are increased safety concerns.

The scheme also gives people the right to ask on behalf of a close friend or relative. However information will only be given to the person who is at risk, or someone who is in a position to protect them.

Police can also use the law to proactively reveal such information where there is concern but they have not been asked.

More information:

Make an online application under Clare’s Law

Please note - only use the below form if the person at risk resides in Hertfordshire. If the person at risk doesn't reside in Hertfordshire, please contact your local force by calling 101, or in an emergency dial 999.

If you have concerns about your partner or the partner of someone you know, you can make an application under Clare’s Law online. 

To start the process, all you need to do is fill out some basic details below.  

A specially trained officer will then make contact within seven days at a time that is safe for you.

If you prefer, you can make an enquiry by calling the police non-emergency number 101. But if you or someone else is in danger now, always call 999.

This online form is not intended for use by partnership agencies or those reporting from a professional capacity, who should continue to follow existing arrangements by contacting 101 or 999 as appropriate.  

  • Does the person potentially at risk live in Hertfordshire?


Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.