Skip to content Quick exit

Mental health

It is estimated that one in four people experience mental ill health at some time in their lives.

Mental ill health can affect males and females of all ages and abilities and from all walks of life.

Just like physical illness, mental illness encompasses a wide range of problems and complaints.

Hertfordshire Constabulary works closely with partner agencies including Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust who provide integrated health and care services around the clock to ensure the safety and security of this vulnerable group of people and their carers.  Further information about their services can be found by visiting

Who to contact

If it is your own mental health you are concerned about initially you should contact your GP who should be able to assess the problem and decide the best way to approach it. If your doctor is not able to help they will suggest someone who can.

If you are worried about the mental health of another person, including family and friends you can get advice from your local Community Mental Health Centre or HCC - Health and Community Services.

Details of support groups and services for people with a mental health problem can be found on the Hertfordshire County Council website Mental Health.

If you think that someone may be a risk to themselves or to others, you can approach the police for help by either ringing  999 if it is an emergency or  101 or report it online for non-emergency.

You can also contact the  Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board to report a concern about an adult.

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.