To stay safe while chatting:
- Don’t give out your personal details, photographs, or other information that could identify you.
- Don’t take people at face value - they may not be who they say they are.
- Don’t arrange to meet someone you’ve only ever met on the Internet, without getting permission from your parents or guardian. Even if you have seen a photo of someone it could have been faked.
- Stay in the public areas in chat rooms.
- Only open attachments or download files sent to you by friends who you trust.
- Don’t save anything you find disturbing or print it. Tell an adult.
Think carefully about how much you want people to know about you. Once you publish a picture of yourself anyone can change it and share it without your permission.
Chatting to people online is fun but there are some adults who will try to get in touch with young people and children because they have bad intentions.