Skip to content Quick exit


Following a collision, in order to comply with the law it is necessary to stop and exchange names, addresses, registration numbers and owner details with the other party. If anybody sustains injuries as a result of the collision then the drivers involved must also provide their insurance details.

If nobody has suffered any kind of injury as a result of the collision you can report the collision online using our road traffic collision form.  Any collisions where injuries have been sustained must be reported in person at a police station.

Alternatively, you can report the collision by attending a police station or reporting it to a police officer. You may be required to produce documents relating to the use of the vehicle. If you have them available please take them with you, but do not unnecessarily delay reporting the collision.

The police will attend if there is an immediate danger to other road users and may need to attend where there is injury sustained by persons involved.

If life is in danger, dial 999, in all other circumstances call 101.

New collision reports

In most cases once a police collision report has been completed and submitted by officers in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire, the Collisions team then administers and investigates the case.

It can take several working days for a collision report to be received and registered on our systems, depending on the volume of collisions being dealt with at any given time.  If you have been involved in a recent collision which was attended by an officer, it may be advantageous to contact that officer in the first instance with any immediate queries you may have.  You can call 101 if you do not have his or her contact details already.

A police collision reference number will not be available until the collision has been registered by the Collisions team.  If you have been provided with a control room reference number (this will include the date of the collision and be prefixed by BP, CC or HC), or an online ‘RTC’ reference, either of these numbers will serve as the police reference for your insurers in the first instance.

Provisions of a police collision report reference number will not delay the processing by your insurers of any claim for settlement in relation to any losses or damage following a collision; these claims are not dealt with by the police. 

Reporting a collision

In some circumstances where the police were not in attendance, it may be necessary to report a collision directly to the police.  This cannot be done by telephone.  Certain non-injury collisions which occur in the three police areas can be reported online.  Any other collisions which the law specifies have to be reported to the police must be reported personally at a police station.

Helpful general information (including the circumstances in which a collision must be reported to the police) is available on the  Ask The Police website FAQ relating to collisions. 

The purpose of a police collision investigation is primarily to consider whether any offences are disclosed which should proceed to court.  It does not seek to apportion civil liability or otherwise determine the culpability of any party. A significant proportion of police collision cases will not be finalised for several months following the collision. 


CCTV footage is invariably only held by a provider for a short period of time (usually less than a month). It is the responsibility of the person reporting the collision (if they believes that CCTV may be useful) to identify and contact the owner of the cameras. 

If it is confirmed that the incident has been captured, the police will need to be advised of the contact details of the individual who will supply the footage. However it is worth bearing in mind that it is very unusual that CCTV will assist the team in identifying a vehicle that has failed to stop at a collision, due to the quality of footage available, however there are nevertheless occasions when it may assist with the investigation.

If the precise time of the collision is unknown, it is not proportionate for the Team to view extended periods of footage to determine whether the collision has been captured and if it is of any evidential value.  We do not view CCTV footage exceeding two hours. The police do not have control of CCTV systems or the release of images by independent CCTV operators. 

Once the police have been advised of the existence and content of such video evidence, at the point it is required an internet link will be sent to the person in possesion of the video files, to enable them to upload it.

Dash cam

Where dash cam provides evidence in relation to a collision, it can only be accepted via internet upload.  This is due to the large variety of file formats available, and the need to maintain the continuity of evidence.  The person producing the dash cam footage (usually the driver of the vehicle fitted with the dash cam) must be prepared to attend court to confirm its source.  Once the police have been advised of the existence and content of such video evidence, at the point it is required an internet link will be sent to the person in possession of the video files, to enable them to upload it.  Two minutes before and two minutes after the collision will be required in most cases, especially when the dash cam is fitted to one of the involved vehicles.  

Settling losses

If you have a query relating to the settlement of a claim for damages, injury, or loss after a collision, this must be addressed to your motor insurer or a suitable legal advisor.  The role of the police following a collision is to deal with any offences which stem from it, not to deal with claims for losses.

Where the other driver has failed to stop you should always advise your insurers as they may be contacted by the other driver’s insurers.  If you have the registration number of the other vehicle they will usually be able to contact the relevant insurers directly themselves. 

Requests for information to assist civil claims following a collision

If you wish to apply for an abstract of a collision report or apply for a collision reference number these requests are dealt with on line and payment only made via BACS.

Information from a police collision report will only be shared once the police investigation and any subsequent prosecution have been finalised. 

Witness statements

If you have been asked to complete a witness statement, you will have either been sent one via email or the post.  To request another witness statement to be mailed to you by either post or email please email

Reminder letters

Please note that reminder letters are automated from our system and it may take up to seven days to be processed.

If you are unsure if we have received your correspondence please email us at with details of your submission including your reference number.

We aim to respond to your request within two working days, but during busy periods this may take longer. 

Contacting the Collision Unit

The unit can be contacted by email via .  Emails received are prioritised and processed alongside letters received in the office, and are dealt with in order date of receipt. 

Due to the wide variety of enquiries received and the variation in responses required it is not possible to provide an indication as to when you may receive a response. If you are simply sending us information via e-mail this will be matched to the file, viewed, and the appropriate action taken.

The direct telephone number for the unit is 01438 757171. The Collisions Administration team opening times for telephone enquiries are between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays.  

The address for postal communications is:

Collisions Administration Unit, CTC,
Stevenage Police Station,
Lytton Way,
SG1 1HF.


Further support

If you or another person have suffered harm (including physical, mental or emotional harm) caused directly by the collision you may be entitled to support under the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime. This could include emotional and practical support from a local victim service to help you to cope and recover. For more information visit

Our website uses cookies to improve your experience.