The investigation was launched in 2017 to investigate incidents which are reported to have occurred at the unit from the 1970s up to its closure in 1995.
Our aims at Hertfordshire Constabulary are:
- To conduct an open investigation and search for the truth in relation to Hill End.
- Maintain the trust and confidence of victims, their families and the community and ensure that any victims receive appropriate support.
- Safeguard any people believed to be at risk.
If you want to report to police
We have set up a special team to investigate alleged incidents at the Hill End Unit.
If you want to report anonymously to Crimestoppers
If you would rather report anonymously you can contact Crimestoppers, which is an independent charity.
If you need support
- If you need emotional support there are a range of services available to you.
- If you are in crisis and/or immediate danger please call 999 so that we can get the appropriate help to you.
Updates about Operation Meadow
Since the Operation Meadow investigation begun we have been committed to being open and transparent. This is a very important investigation for the Force and we will take every opportunity to respond and improve in the way we deal with those involved.
As part of our response, we have been issuing regular updates to the general public about the on-going investigation. This is a standard we set at the start of the investigation and includes sharing the details with the local media.
We know that this investigation has meant that many people have had to face painful memories from their time at Hill End Adolescent Unit.
A team of specialist officers who are trained to deal with sensitive cases are working on this case and the Op Meadow web pages provide information about the additional support that is available to those who feel they require it.
The latest update regarding the investigation was issued on June 6 and you can read it on the Operation Meadow Investigation Updates page.
In the future we will publish the dates of further updates in advance on the Investigation Updates page.