Man to be sentenced following non-recent Harpenden sexual assaults
Main article content
A man who had already pleaded guilty to two sexual assaults and kidnaps in Harpenden will now not face trial for a further charge of kidnap.
Alec Housden, aged 60, of Kingsbury Gardens in Dunstable, appeared at St Albans Crown Court today (Tuesday 12 September) to face trial for the kidnap of a 12 year old girl in Harpenden on Wednesday 17 March 2004.
In June 2023, Housden admitted snatching a 16 year old girl off Piggottshill Lane, Harpenden on Sunday 7 August 2002 and indecently assaulting her.
He also pleaded guilty to kidnapping and indecently assaulting a 17 year old girl at the same location on Wednesday 19 June 2002.
Today, the judge ruled that the prosecution could not tell a jury that Housden admitted the 2002 offences as part of the case for the 2004 offence. As a result, the Crown offered no evidence and a not guilty verdict was entered.
Housden remains remanded in custody and will now face sentencing on Monday 18 December, where the judge said he will receive a long prison sentence.
Detective Inspector Justine Jenkins from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit said: “The investigation into the kidnaps and two serious sexual assaults was never closed and we have remained in contact with the victims.
“During a review of the investigation in June 2022, we re-visited all the evidence, including forensic evidence. In April 2023, Housden was arrested and a DNA match was confirmed for the 2002 offences.
“With such overwhelming evidence, we were able to get Housden before the courts and be accountable for his abhorrent actions.
“I hope this reassures the public that we never give up on a case, no matter how long ago it might have occurred.”